Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    The plan and the way it plays out

    August 25, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    The plan today is to get up early before it gets too hot and see the spectacular views from Monte Faro. After that we will all go to the beach for snorkelling and picnicking. The weather forecast says its a perfect day.
    We wake up to heavy fog but are undeterred, confident it will burn off. It does and in we row in and land on the beach - it pays to confident we say. We are no sooner down the length beach when the fog descends again. 3 of 4 remain optimist, I row back to Régal. My 3 mates have a great fun walking to the top of Monte Faro. At the top they study the poster of what can be seen on a clear day - It feels like Slea head or some other scenic spot in Ireland.
    They return to the boat for a rest before our excursion to the beach. The wind has increased as well as the roll and chop. The forecast says nothing about wind and so we delay going to the beach until things calm. An hour later the wind is stronger, gusting to 22knots and so rowing to the beach is not an option. The prospect of a good night sleep at anchor look unlikely so we up anchor and head for Bayona. The wind and chop is on the nose and we are in full oil skins. I see 32 knots at one stage on the wind reader and we certainly feel it.
    I say to the kids that it is likely people are sunbathing in Bayona, of course they don’t believe me. Sure enough when we turn the corner into the bay everything calms - there we are in our full wet gear looking at bikini clad holiday makers on the beach.
    We second guess ourselves that maybe things might have settled in Islas Cies but we are still glad we didn’t hang around to find out.
    Read more