Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 68

    Ilha da Culatra

    September 17, 2021 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    The six on board have a full day ashore on the island. We dingy into the village and walk along the concrete slab path to take in the sights. It’s 11am and it is already hot. We walk out of the village passing the school and the play-school which has a plastic-fantastic kids motorbike parked outside - a nice ride for some lucky 3 year old.
    The path leads us onto a raised wooden boardwalk up over the sand and sand-loving plants. This is a nature reserve and the boardwalk protects the plants and animals from us clumsy tourists. The boardwalk leads us all the way to the sea side of island. There is a huge beach to walk on, waves to play in and sun-loungers, parasols and a beach bar, what more could we want. Other tourists arrive later. They come on the ferry from Olhao and Faro as there aren’t really any beaches on that part of the mainland because of the lagoon.
    We finish up our day on the island in the local, having G and Ts and Ice teas. Afterwards Margaret and Donal finally get a home-cooked meal on board Regal - smoked salmon pasta. Donal sings ‘These are my mountains’ on Ruby’s request.
    It is an early start for Margaret and Donal the next morning. Ronan drops them by dingy to the island to catch the 7.45 Ferry to Olhao, in time to catch a taxi to Faro for the 10am Bus to Seville.
    We had such a great time with them and were sad to say Goodbye.
    Read more