Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 91

    Cartagena

    October 10, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    It is hard to believe we have been in Cartagena a week already.
    We are delighted with our new digs at Yacht Port Cartagena. There is a nice atmosphere around the marina. The staff who drive about on their golf carts are helpful and friendly.
    The facilities here are great. We actually oohed and aahed when we went into the shower block. Ronan and I because it was all so new, clean and shiny. Colm and Ruby because of large open area with a big couch an very big Television. Colm was so excited about this new extension to our living space that he spent a whole afternoon there sorting all the books on the book swap shelf. He did a great job - he shelved the books according to Language to make it easier for everyone - so now one section is only for books written in english and the other section is for everything else.
    This marina caters mainly for foreign boats as the locals use the neighbouring, more established yacht club. Many of the boats will stay for the winter. There is even a Cartagena liveaboard facebook group which we have joined.

    The marina is in a gorgeous setting on the city’s wide and beautifully maintained promenade complete with cream paving and palm trees. Just outside the marina along the promenade is the sub-aqua museum and El Batel Auditorium , both stunning modern buildings.
    Further along the promenade is the sailing school, diving centre and the cruise ship dock. A cruise ship arrives early every morning and leaves in the evening. Sometimes two come in, the second one docks directly behind Regal. It is like having a massive apartment block installed next to us overnight. We look up at the guests, high up on their balconies who are looking at us looking at them.

    Beyond the cruise ship area of the promenade is the fisherman’s pier and the naval museum. There is so much to see and wander around before even crossing the road to the city. When we do cross over we are in the pretty old quarter which is packed full of history that we are only beginning to explore.

    Ronan and I decide it is time to have a summit meeting about our travel plans. Up for discussion is the possibility of travelling on to see a few more places for another month before returning here to spend the winter . We go to the cafe holding our cards very close to our chest only to find on turning them over that we have the same hand. We both want to stay here and not travel further until the spring time. There is the possibility that come January or February we will regret not having stayed out sailing for longer. We decide to risk the regret and go with how we feel now.
    Ruby and Colm are happy too. They have made a few friends and are enjoying the new routine here of school work in the morning and hanging out with their new pals in the afternoons.
    Read more