Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 275

    Restarting sailing - Cartagena to Calpe

    April 12, 2022, Western Mediterranean ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    In the last few weeks you could feel a change in the air, with new yachts purposefully passing through Cartagena, the days getting longer and more sailors returning to boats which had been uninhabited over the winter.
    We too have been looking forward to new destinations and lazy days at anchor.
    The Balearic Islands are close by - as near as the Isles of Scilly are to Cork. We hope to spend a slow couple of months there before the busy season of July and August.
    Unfortunately though the weather hasn't been playing ball, after a very mild winter the last few weeks have seen Saharan dust storms and lots of unfavourable wind (cold northerlies).
    Finally we decided to take advantage of a 24 hour weather window and make some ground up the coast. A long day's passage here would put us within 12 hours of Ibiza, so at 5.30 this morning we left our berth and Cartagena. It reminds me of departing A Coruña before dawn - another large commercial harbour with high hills alongside,
    We've spent over six months here now and it certainly feels a bit strange to be leaving.

    It's grey and rolly and feels like it's going to be a long dull day! Thankfully we make good time, a freshly antifouled hull and 2200 RPM both helping. We have the headsail in and out as the day passes by.
    We hope to get as far as Calpe before nightfall, a distance of almost 90 miles, so we need to crack on... So skipping the long tedious bit in the middle... We're here!
    14 hours later we're anchored under the spectacular Penon de Ilfrach. It's a stunning vista, while around us rowing crews are being put through their paces.
    Time to relax with a beer and a sandwich, tired but happy now with the day, and looking forward to the coming season.
    Read more