Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 276

    Calpe

    April 13, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    For our first night in Calpe we are anchored outside the harbour with a great view of the rocky hill of Penon de Ifach. It is the perfect spot to have a sundowner and enjoy the quiet while being so close to twinkling lights of town’s skyline and Benidorm’s metropolis far off in the distance. I am surprised Calpe gets a bad write up in several publications - it looks so pretty to me.
    The next morning we take up residence at the marina is anticipation of rain later and strong wind on the morrow. We stroll into the town along the beach-lined promenade with its many high-rises. Just behind the apartments we find another pretty feature of Calpe; a salt water lagoon dotted with pink flamingos. We have a late lunch in one of beside restaurants - phew that is dinner taken care of too - late lunches are the best.
    Colm and I are eating out again the following day, this time for a late breakfast. We are enjoying our full English when Colm spots someone familiar. He approaches the table and confirms that it is indeed Cathal, his friend and neighbour from Glanmire. He and his parents are as surprised as we are to meet someone they know. They have been coming to Calpe for years and rarely hear an Irish accent.
    Cathal comes back to the boat with us, helping with the shopping on the way. Colm has a great afternoon catching up with Cathal and playing football down by the beach. We join his parents for a drink and they come down to see the boat. They have brought us an Easter Egg which is a lovely surprise as we don’t expect Easter Bunny this year.
    Read more