Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 341

    Naked and afraid: MENORCA

    June 17, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Written by Ruby ;]

    They are naked. We are afraid. The boat is surrounded on all sides. They are creeping closer. I lie awake at night and shiver, praying for an end to it all. Welcome. To. Menorca.

    [24 hours earlier]
    It is truly a beautiful day for sailing, so that’s exactly what we do, crossing over from Mallorca to Menorca. The boat happily sails along, and spirits are high. As the evening draws in, we pull into a bay on the northern coast, called Cala de Algaiarens. There are two sandy beaches and pine trees surround the bay. Many boats are at anchor here but there is enough space that the Cala still feels quiet.

    It is only the next day that the problem rears its head. Nudism. An onslaught of nudists; they are on the beach and swimming, they are sailing their boats and hosting their equally naked guests. I don’t know where to look.
    We spend four days here but never feel inspired to join in -we are prudes through and through.

    There’s great snorkelling around the rocks, so we spend lots of time there gazing at all the fish. We go to the beach on some of the evenings, when the heat of the day has subsided and the nudists are mainly dressed . On one of these occasions we meet our friends from Aphrodite, a boat we met way back in Ibiza.
    For most of our stay here, it’s windy, so we haven’t launched the paddle boards. We are beginning to understand why Menorca is called ‘The Windy Isle’. On our forth morning, the wind changes direction and everyone has clearly had the same idea. There is a mass exodus and we sail off in their midst.
    Read more