Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 416

    The Amalfi Coast

    August 31, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    ‘This could end up being an expensive little trip out to see the Amalfi coast’ whispers Ronan as he winds down the window of our rental car.
    The policeman informs us that we had driven through a red traffic light a while back. He is cross and exasperated, ‘You don’t even stop when you hear my siren?, Why?’
    We apologise profusely and explain that we hadn’t noticed the traffic light. We go on to say that when we heard the siren we supposed it was for someone else. We are surprised when he is satisfied with this and lets us off, we can’t believe our luck. As we continue snaking around the narrow cliff road we keep an eye out for traffic lights and cop cars.

    The driving is slow with lots of hairpin bends and oncoming traffic, I never go beyond third gear. Around ever blind corner there are incredible mountain views and beyond ever drop off there are spectacular sea views. Houses and hotels grip on to sides of cliffs above us and below us.
    We stop an hour out the coast road; we have already had a big day in Pompeii. This is far enough for us to get a feel for driving the Amalfi coast. We picnic on roasted corn and chocolate crepes from the promenade stalls in Minori and then wind our way back to Régal in Solerno.
    In two days time we will sail past here hugging the coast so we can savour the stunning views from the water.
    Read more