Satelliet
Weergeven op kaart
  • Dag 21

    Moremi the Green Kalahari

    20 april 2023, Botswana ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    From the dry side of the Kalahari we stock up at Maun and then set off for Moremi Game Reserve where the jewel of this region the Okavango Delta lies.

    The reserve was established in 1963 by the wife of chief Moremi from the Batawana tribe living in the area at the time who was concerned about the loss of wildlife and cattle encroachment happening all around her and thank goodness for her foresight as today this 5000 km square reserve is a vital wilderness space in Africa and the Okavango Delta a green oasis of water, palms and reed pathways through winding channels where countless animals and birds have their home.

    We quickly discover that there are lots and lots of elephants here and after watching a family herd come to drink and then have a delightful mud bath we set up camp on the fringe of the Xakanaxa lagoon for an intended afternoon of relaxation. This is very short lived as soon after setting up our chairs and stretchers under the shade of the giant trees a huge elephant bull approaches and we very quickly discover that we are all under his favorite grove of Winterthorn trees which are now bearing fruit with the tastiest seed pods something elephants love and just can’t get enough of !

    What starts as a fun experience with our elephant friend vacuuming up all the fallen pods around and very close to our vehicle becomes awe inspiring watching him put muscle to the giant trees and actually shake them to get more pods to fall. Then Peter who is photographing from a distance away from the vehicle on foot is approached directly by the bull and we have some heart stopping minutes watching with held breath and sending as much calm energy as possible to the elephant before he finally turns away to another grove of trees.
    At the end of the day we move campsites as close as possible to the ablutions and are grateful that no further ellies come our way.
    Phew it is an adrenaline experience we do not wish to have again !

    The next morning we calm ourselves down completely with a tranquil boat trip in the Xakanaxa Lagoon.
    Meer informatie