Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Windsor Castle

    December 16, 2018 in England ⋅ 🌧 7 °C

    Yesterday was a big day but just awesome. The weather was forecast to deteriorate and that it did. By lunchtime it was cold, windy and raining , so that “feels like” temperature was into negative territory. That said, I layered the kids up with thermals under their clothes, giving them four layers and they all stayed warm and dry.

    We had an early lunch at Victoria station where we met our friend Pete and his son Theo and then caught two connecting trains to Windsor. Due to track work we then had to get a connecting bus for a half hour ride. Problem was the train ran a little late and the bus didn’t wait. So there was about 50 unhappy travellers standing in the freezing cold next to another bus that would not leave for another 20 mins. At least one passenger convinced the bus driver to let us get on the bus where it was warm and dry.

    Our issue was we were going to be very close to the cut off time for last entry into Windsor castle. We made it by the skin of our teeth after getting a cab to drive us up to the castle entrance. We were very wet by the time we got there, but we made it!

    The castle was so beautiful. So much more impressive than I had imagined and worth every bit of effort to get there. We did a tour through the staterooms and the went to St George’s Chapel where Prince Harry and Megan were married earlier this year. It was so much more ornate and beautiful than Westminster Abbey. Vern and I loved it!

    It was totally dark, and wet by 4pm so off to the pub for drinks and dinner. The old English pubs have so much character and are even better when beautifully decorated for Christmas. We had great food, a few drinks and wonderful company with Pete and Theo.

    An awesome day!
    Read more