Satellite
  • Day 21

    Day 1: Archery and Kite Flying

    June 25, 2016 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☀️ 64 °F

    We went to this very wide, flat, windy, beach for our first set of challenges. First we tried our hands at archery. Since the equipment was not that high tech, we were all in the same boat and even people that might have had some experience found it a bit challenging to hit the target accurately.

    Then we used these things that were basically nerf arrows and tried to shoot eachother. That was also nigh on impossible, although the 74 year old lady on the trip did manage to hit one guy right in the nuts. All the more impressive when you realize she was aiming at the guy next to him.

    Then we all got to try our hand at flying these really big kites you needed two (or even four) strings to control. There were a bunch of people on the beach driving up and down in these little dune buggies that were propelled by these kites, but the learning curve for actually doing that was too steep for us. A couple people actually got the hang of it enough to ride for 20 feet or so, but more people just lost the kite or got pulled over in the buggy, so I figured it was a bad idea to even try that. Just fun to watch and fly the kite while standing on firm ground.
    Read more