Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Early morning bike ride

    November 16, 2023 in England ⋅ 🌧 43 °F

    Even though we didn't have to get up until 12 hours after we went to bed, we still didn't get a great night's sleep. But we didn't have much trouble getting up in plenty of time for our early morning bike tour of London. This is something we like to do each time we visit a new city.

    This tour was a little bit gimmicky, in that we were riding old-timey bikes (modern construction but vintage aesthetic) and the guide dressed in tweed. But it was a fun gimmicky tour.

    Even though rain was forecast, it held off while we were riding. It drizzled enough at the start that Russell and I broke out our new raincoats, but then it stopped before we could give them a proper test.

    Funny enough, it did rain for a bit, but we were in a pub for that period, so we didn't get wet.

    One of the more striking sites we visited was the covid memorial wall where every painted heart represented a person lost to covid somewhere in Britain (not just London). The hearts seemed to stretch on forever.

    Our final stop on the bike tour was a spot where street art is both allowed and encouraged. The guide handed out spray paint cans and we went to town. I made a google map pin. Sort of a "you are here" statement. Russell added an infinity symbol so I guess the message is "you are infinite."
    Read more