Satellite
  • Day 23

    Yeosu Day 1

    October 20, 2017 in South Korea ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Yeosu is a bustling port town with a population of around 300,000 and was the site of the 2012 Expo. The weather today and tomorrow is near perfect, as can be seen from the photos. Temperature range between 17 and 22 degrees with a light breeze, really good weather for hiking or sightseeing.

    My hotel (Elena) is in an accommodation district that has many options for food, drink and coffee in the area. I want to catch a bus to Busan in a couple of days, so I walk up to the bus terminal (across the road from the e-mart). That's done, so I decide to take a bus to the Expo site. The bus I take gets there eventually and not particularly directly.

    The Expo site, like Brisbane's, is a cut down but still functional site. I find a tourist information kiosk there, who give me English brochures and direct me to the Sky Tower.

    The Expo site sits on a former cement factory and two 55 metre high silos have been artistically transformed into the Sky Tower. I buy a ticket for the observatory on the 20th floor and ascend. The views from the observatory are breathtaking. There are many islands spread out across the sea. I take in the panorama while drinking a banana smoothie. In the next booth a 60ish man takes a brief nap while his wife wanders around. Isn't retirement great 😚

    From there I want to go to Manseongni Beach, which is famous for its black sand. The bus service there and back leaves a little to be desired. Even though it's only 3 km away, I don't think it's possible to walk there. Anyway the bus comes eventually and I take it to the beach.

    I haven't brought my thongs so it's tricky walking on the pebbles and rocks (after taking off my shoes and socks for a paddle in the water). There are a few people around, but given it's mid-autumn it's not too crowded.

    Back on the bus, which can drop me not far from the ferry terminal. I'd like to buy a ticket for a trip tomorrow, but the woman at the tourist information kiosk outside tells me that I will have to wait until tomorrow morning. Ah well. I take the 555 bus back to the hotel. Yeosu is set up in such a way that there are gaps between districts so walking is not an option.
    Read more