Satellite
  • Day 103

    Cowboy Camping Barnard Gulf Rd 1724.5

    August 14, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 16 °C

    What a great start into the day with straight up for a quarter of a mile to Quimby Mountain. The night was pretty chilly again with around 12 degrees Celsius so it warmed us up quickly. Afterwards it was neat up and down with gentle slopes and even ground. The hikes here in Vermont have been fun so far but there aren't many miles left until we reach New Hampshire and the Whites.
    After lunch we came by a viewpoint at a cabin that was"0.1 mile off the trail. As I was a bit ahead of Julia I've decided to leave my pack at the junction and go check it out. And it was totally worth it, the cabin itself is perfectly maintained and pretty clean. It's open for hikers to stay there for the night and it even has a fireplace. But the best thing about it is is the lookout on top of the cabins roof. For a climb up a steep ladder it offers a wooden lookout platform with a bench and amazing views to three sides.
    On the way down another hiker came by and said that Julia moved on along the trail. We do that pretty often as I'm usually a bit faster than her but I need more time to get ready. So I just hiked on at a normal pace but after about three miles I started getting a bit confused because I still haven't caught up to her. As I checked the elevation profile (which was mostly downhill) I thought that I just spent more time at the cabin so she would be further ahead. After another hour I was almost sure that I had passed her so I went back for about half a mile and luckily found her again. She didn't take a turn at a junction where the trail was really bad marked and went downhill a wrong path for an hour.
    As it was already quite late we decided to go to a barn just 0.1 miles off the trail where hikers are welcome to stay.
    Read more