Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 102

    Camping Quimby Mountain 1707.5

    August 13, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    Rise and shine, it's town day :) The night was pretty chilly up at 3908 ft with the wind blowing through the shelter even though it had a door, but no windows -.- So we quickly ate our last remaining two oatmeals and then hiked swiftly the ~6 miles to the road crossing that leads to Rutland. Usually we wouldn't go to a town that is more than 8 miles off the trail but we've heard that hitching a ride is really easy in Vermont. And so we had a car stopping for us after only 5 minutes :)
    They drove us directly to the "Hikers Hostel at the Yellow Deli", which was actually very yellow. We were greeted by a young man that showed us around and told us the rules. Both the Deli and the Hostel are run by the "Twelve tribes", a Christian alternative community which was co-founded by hikers. They are really nice people and we had very interesting conversations with them. The hostel is purely donations based, so showers, laundry and even breakfast is included. But we had other plans, so after having a shower and done laundry we went for brunch to the Deli and had a delicious sandwich there. Afterwards resupply at Walmart, there we got a good amount of food and also a new water filter - not the Sawyer Mini but the regular sized one. Which means that there's no more a need to save water until the next spring :)
    Back in the hostel we were about to get vortexed but the last bus was about to leave, so we hopped on back to the trail and managed to do some more miles.
    Read more