Satellite
  • Day 117

    Camping after Mahoosuc Notch 1915.6

    August 28, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 8 °C

    We needed to catch up some miles from yesterday so we were already at 6:15 on the trail. Despite that the hike was extremely difficult today and we barely made any miles. At 4:30 PM we just reached the 10 mile mark. But others had also their difficulties today so it wasn't our poor performance ;)
    But we reached our last state, Maine, today. Many people - especially SOBOs - told us how great it is there, so we're really looking forward to hike here. And of course to hike up to Kathadin in a bit! The cherry at the end of the trail.

    But before there are some more miles to go. And they are tough ones! With a full hiking day we barely managed to do the 12 miles. And almost at the end of the day there was the "most difficult and fun part of the whole AT" (Thru hiker guides) waiting for us. It's a mile stretch called Mahoosuc Notch that leads pretty even out of the valley. But the way out there is basically just rock climbing and crawling under huge rock boulders that are scattered all over. Another thing that makes it special is that there is ice below some of the rocks for the whole year. We actually had fun for about half the way but then it was mostly annoying. Also because it started to get dark and you really don't want to be there for a night hike... But we managed to make it through just in time and right afterwards was a really nice campspot.
    Read more