Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 118

    Frye Notch Lean-to 1928.4

    August 29, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 10 °C

    We wanted to get up earlier to have more time to make miles. Well, not today... It took us an hour to get out of the tent, then we had breakfast and at 7 we were finally on the trail to tackle Mahoosuc Arm. A section that is "one of the steepest climbs of the whole AT" with an elevation change of 1500 ft within one mile. We had really respect of that part but on the trail it was actually pretty easy and we were on the summit pretty fast.
    On the way down a SOBO told us that there is trail magic at the upcoming road crossing. So I hurried up to get there so we would get something this time because usually all we find are the leftovers. But not this time, there was a retired High school teacher whose son hiked the AT two years ago and is now on the PCT. He gave us sodas and snacks and we talked for some time. Just as we were about to head on a day hiker offered us beer and Oreos. After more than 2 1/2 hours we moved on and got some orange halves from a day hiking couple :) What a lucky day!
    Despite the good food and drink supply we still didn't make big miles and slowly our goal gets further away. Tomorrow we'll be going to make a big day again and see if it works.
    Read more