Satellite
  • Day 119

    Camping Old Blue Mountain 1947.4

    August 30, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 6 °C

    For a big day it's necessary to get up early, at least for us. So we were on the trail at 6:30 and for lunch we passed the 10 miles mark. But it was a bit later than usual to get lunch and the stretch was pretty easy compared to the previous days. Anyways, we were happy with the progress that we made and after a short lunch break we moved on.
    The upcoming part wasn't supposed to be that easy with steep ups and downs. Unfortunately it was as exhausting as it looked like and we slowed down a lot. Because of that our daily goal was endangered and we were considering our options. We have scheduled a meeting with the mother-in-law of Julias sister who lives nearby the trail. But we overestimated the progress we'd make so it were 41 miles left this morning. Our only chance to make it on time to there was to move on despite the upcoming climb, night and almost no water. On the way we felt pretty good so we had only one mile left to hike in the dark. It was super lucky that the stretch to the Campsite was even and perfect for a night hike!
    Shortly before we arrived there we heard a big animal in the woods but we weren't able to identify what it was. Hopefully not a bear because in the whole area was no proper spot for hanging a bear bag.
    Read more