Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Santorini Summit and Kamari Beach

    July 17, 2022 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 77 °F

    We drove from Oia to Profitis Ilias and took in the island views from Santorini’s highest point. From here you get a 360 view of the entire island. Also at the top of this mountain, is the Monastery of the Prophet Elijah where 9 monks live.

    The wind was pretty fierce all day and we learned that an island slogan is “Santorini, where everyday is a bad hair day.” Being at the highest point and the fierce wind gave us our crazy hair pictures.

    Our final tour stop was at Kamari Beach which is at the southeastern side of Santorini. Because of the volcanic ash, the beaches have black “sand” which to me doesn’t really qualify as sand like our beaches back home. This “sand” as they call it is more like black rocks, and I’m not sure how people were walking around barefoot on it. Although it was a hot day, the water felt chilly and because it was so windy, there were whitecaps and strong waves.

    We spent some time walking on the boardwalk where every restaurant had a view of the beach serving an array of fresh seafood. The boardwalk was filled with various shops, restaurants, and hotels. This would be a great place to stay for a beach vacation.
    Read more