Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Strenuous hike up the mountain

    July 19, 2022 in Montenegro ⋅ ☀️ 86 °F

    After our frolic in the bay, we stopped at a grocery and grabbed some volpi, a fresh loaf of bread, and some random snacks (one we thought were cheese puffs, that ended up being peanut butter puffs) because we only had 8 hours at this port. We were in a rush to get back to the Old Town to hike up to the Church of Our Lady of Health. This hike was no joke, and it was especially hot today, which made the hike almost unbearable. Even in the heat, the views along the way were totally worth it. We saw amazing views of the Old Town and the Bay of Kotor.

    Because we were pressed for time, we didn’t make it to the top of the Town Walls to the Fortress of St. John and just headed back to the Old Town to check out a few local shops. We fell in love with a wooden Santa that had to come home with us. This handmade wooden decoration has such an amazing story behind it, for example, the red and yellow are for the Montenegro flag 🇲🇪, the cherries on Santa’s beard represent the family that created the figurine, the blue represented the blue waters of the Bay of Kotor, especially depicted in the blue eyes, even though it’s a rare find to see a Montenegrin with blue eyes.

    After checking out a few shops, we high tailed it to the port to make it to the last tender back to the ship. Eight hours with a tender was definitely not enough time to explore this port city.
    Read more