Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    It starts with a Mt. Vesuvius sunrise

    July 21, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 77 °F

    Early morning sunrise from the ship over the beautiful Mt. Vesuvius. Upon arriving at the port, we meet Priscilla, our guide who will be leading our tour to Positano, Sorrento, and the Pompeii Ruins.

    Our first stop was on the way to Positano to take in a view of the Gulf of Napoli. Along the way, we see olive, lemon, and orange trees. We also see many vineyards, even along the city streets. One of the top alcoholic products is Limoncello, so we made a quick stop at the factory where they sold everything lemon and we were able to taste the different versions of Limoncello.

    We continued along the switchback road down to the coastal town of Positano which we learned is the most expensive place to live on the Amalfi Coast. There are various hikes up the mountain. Along the Amalfi Coast, there are 45 watch towers which were used to watch out for pirates long ago.

    There is only one narrow road going into Positano from the main road. Once on this road, there is no turning back. Once parked, it’s shopping central. The first thing I noticed were the vibrant colors of the fabrics and I knew I wanted a blue and yellow dress with lemons on it as a way to remember this beautiful place. I was captured by a store where I peeped around the corner to find a lady, who I assume is the “Lemon Lady”, as written on the bags, hand making the bags being sold in the store. There was another lady who was responsible for painting the designs on the bags. I wanted to take home every single one!

    We continued walking down the narrow pedestrian area and made it to the beach. We didn’t have much time so we popped into the church there and enjoyed the views of the water and up the mountain. After leaving Positano with a few new bags and dresses, we circled through the town and made our way to the main road for the next stop in Sorrento. From the van, I was able to snap a picture of the Gulf of Napoli which was bustling with lots of boats.
    Read more