Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 295

    Mantaray Bay - Hook Island

    October 22, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Next up on the itinerary was Mantaray Bay, I wanted to find George the giant Maori Wrasse, but first fishing.

    Another great morning fishing, everyone caught a few fish. Brett got two ripper keepers, a tricky snapper and a nannygai. We could not wait to eat the nannygai, they are meant to be great eating.

    We eventually pulled into Mantaray Bay and I instantly got good vibes, we were surrounded by bat fish. While Brett prepared the fish for lunch, the kids and I hand fed the bat fish.

    We had fresh fish for lunch, everyone voted the nannygai as best eating. It was delicious.

    After lunch we moved to a closer mooring and it was on! George the giant maori wrasse appeared at our boat. This was a bucket list item and it was happening. I was in the water faster than you could say George. He was amazing, huge, colorful and friendly. We spent about 2 hours feeding and swimming with George, giant GTs, bat fish, coral trout and heaps of other fish.

    An epic day, which finished on an absolute high! I wanted to find George and we did! What an experience.
    Read more