Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Roadtrip around the Western Cape

    February 4, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Today Anne and I had rented a car to go roadtripping. We started out with a visit to a penguin colony, where we opted to not pay the entrance fee to a viewing platform, but instead followed the advice of a local national park ranger to just follow the path and find some penguins there. We are very grateful for the great tip as we saw tons of penguins.

    Our intended itinerary was then to go and explore the Cape of Good Hope, but to our dismay we realized that they were now charging an entrance fee of 30€ per person for access to the cape. Since both of us had seen it ten years ago, we opted to skip that part of our itinerary, instead heading up to Kalk Bay, with a quick swimming stop in a tidal pool along the way.

    We then had some great food and good vibes in a local eatery called Cape to Cuba, where we encountered some angry seals on the mole. But they were only angry among themselves and didn't heed us any attention.

    We then continued further East, and after driving for maaaany kilometers along some of the big townships of Cape Town, we decided to head towards the water again. Some locals we had met told us that the bay we were in, called False Bay, is already getting fed by the Indian Ocean, and therefore the water there was significantly warmer than the icy waters on the Atlantic side. What can we say... We believe them! While I can't know for sure if the water was indeed from the Indian Ocean, I did think it was significantly warmer than the 13°C in the Atlantic.

    The beach where we went was quite special, as it seemed to be mostly frequented by township dwellers. We were definitely the whitest people around, but the locals were all friendly.

    After the sunset dip in our second ocean of the day we headed back home, opting not to join Arlett at a festival for the remainder of the night. Roadtrip can be quite tiring 😉
    Read more