Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Private taxis and traveling by motorbike

    February 28, 2023 in Rwanda ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    The previous night we were given the number of a reliable taxi driver to drive us to our accommodation. After all the horror experiences we made in the previous 24h, this worked super smooth. We called him, he said it would take him 10min to come, after 8min he was there, and found our place immediately via the most direct route. It was a breeze!

    But, without luggage, there are other opportunities to be had in Kigali. The most common mode of transportation is by far the motorbike. We grabbed a few motos in the morning and scooted over to IH again to be productive. I picked up lunch from a place nearby, which we ate between a few meetings that we had.

    In the evening, we followed a food recommendation from one of Anne's friends, and ended up walking to a rather fancy (and pricey) place. But the food arrived relatively quickly (an abnormality in Rwanda) and tasted good though out servers were a bit all over the place - not in a good way.

    Speaking of walking. In the places we had visited in previous weeks, the general recommendation was always to not move by foot after sunset. This was different in Rwanda, where we had been assured by many that it was totally safe to move around by foot also after sunset. A major reason for that is also that Rwanda has installed proper lights throughout the entire country, so it's a difficult task to find a "shady" area to get in trouble in.
    Read more