Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Bergen, Norway

    September 7, 2023 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    We arrived in Bergen a day before Dean and Brita arrived, so we had a day to explore on our own. We would meet them at the airport the next day to pick up the car and head straight south to Stavanger. Bergen is a beautiful town with typical Norwegian architecture. The houses have steep roofs and are painted in various colours, creating a picturesque atmosphere. Bryggen, the waterfront area, is the main tourist spot. It has a fish market and a collection of buildings dating back to the 14th century. We learned that Norway, along with Japan, is one of the few places where whale meat is legally sold and easily available. Whaling has been a traditional practice in Norway for centuries and is protected by the government from international pressure to ban it. Unlike other countries that used to hunt whales for their oil, Norway makes use of most of the animal. We were surprised to find that whale meat is a red meat, similar to beef, and is sold as steaks or as a "Whale burger".

    On a gorgeous September day, with a temperature of about 22°C, we made our way up side streets and paths to the lookout peak of Fløyen. Norway was already proving to be a stunning country with its natural beauty. While looking for a place to have dinner and trying to avoid the high cost of Norway (which it is known for), we stumbled upon a street bar called Folk & Røvere. We struck up a conversation with a friendly guy there. He explained that the name was taken from a Norwegian fairytale with a moral that emphasizes not bothering others and doing what you like afterwards. It's no wonder Norwegians are stereotypically considerate and polite. What a great way to approach life!
    Read more