Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Love Valley, Uchisar Castle and Pigeon

    November 26, 2023 in Turkey ⋅ 🌬 15 °C

    Jessie had found a blog by a couple who had outlined several hikes around Cappadocia. Fortunately for us, they all started in Goreme where we were staying. Our first morning after arriving started as a perfect blue sky day. Apart from an icy cold wind, it was a nice surprise considering the forecast was for clouds all day. We woke up early and found our way up to the sunrise point and saw the landscape for the first time in daylight. Mind-blowing! It was incredible to see the town had been built in and around the “Fairy Chimney” rock formations that had cave homes in them as well. Thankful for such a stunning day we stocked up from the buffet breakfast at the hotel before getting out the door.

    A total of 13km, the first hike followed the valley next to Goreme up to the plateau and completely a loop down an adjacent valley to the start point. On the Plateau was the neighbouring town Uchisar, with its landmark Castle built out of a Fairy Chimney peak seen from across the majority of Cappadocia.

    The first Valley we came to was Love Valley. By far the most famous of the surrounding valleys thanks to the large unique rock formations standing individially along the valley floor. Having the valley almost completely to ourselves, we could see the tour bus viewpoint above us packed with tour groups all lining up to take their photo and head off to the next sight. Such a massive advantage to have a more flexible schedule and not trying to fit all the sights into a day or two.

    We explored around for a while before continuing up the valley. About halfway up to the Plateau, the weather started to turn. The wind that had been persistent all day had whipped up something like a dust storm mixed with rain. We upped the pace and intending to stop in Uchisar for lunch we pushed through to the top.

    By the time we made it to Uchisar the blue sky had been replaced by a cold front. We grabbed a drink in the only bar we found open and waited for a break in the rain. From there we went up to the Castle and paid entry to go to the summit. By this stage, the wind had increased to about 80km/hr. So while the staff raced around trying to rescue parts of signage and solar lights that were being ripped from their installations we of course made the push for the top.

    The remainder of the loop dropped from Uchisar into Pigeon Valley and back down to Goreme. Another stunning valley with incredible rock formations and mysterious cave homes cut into the cliff faces around us.

    We couldn’t believe how easy the hiking here was. Such a great way to see the area and avoid the crowds!
    Read more