Satellite
Mostra sulla mappa
  • Giorno 10–12

    Mexico City

    11 gennaio, Messico ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    While Mexico City was always intended as just a stopover, we gave ourselves a few extra days. We had both heard that it was a great city worth checking out while we were there. After our mid-morning nap to catch up on the sleep we lost the night before we made our way into the centre. I’d read that the suburb of Juarez was a cool place to check out so we made our way in that direction. We had no idea how the public transport system worked so jumped on the first bus heading in our direction. Immediately, we discovered that payment is only possible by pre-purchased MetroCards. The driver was nice enough to allow us to ride for free to the next stop which by chance was a Metro station and had an office we could buy one. Once we had that sorted, we realised that the subway went directly to Juarez so we jumped straight on the train from there.

    By this time it was mid-afternoon. We wandered the streets for a while and didn’t find much of a vibe. I expect this is because of the time of day and it would come alive a bit more later on. Still pretty tired, we made our way back to the hotel for an early night before a tour we’d booked to Teotihuacán the next day.

    The next afternoon we went back into the centre to check out a few other areas. We first grabbed a beer in a square where we had been told to go to see Mariachi bands playing. When we arrived we found groups of men gathered carrying around their instruments and dressed up in traditional Mariachi clothes. The small open plaza was fronted by the large two-story Tequila and Mezcal Museum. Unfortunately, the upstairs terrace was closed however it was still a cool area to grab a beer and people-watch. From there, we walked into the historical centre to check out some of the more colonial-era buildings.

    Jessie had heard that Roma Norte was another pretty cool place to check out and fortunately, it was all pretty close together. It turned out to be the pick of all the places we saw. A great bustling evening spot with a main street lined with restaurants and bars. Deciding to take the opportunity to eat something other than Mexican, we checked out Felix Pizza. Lucky to get a seat at the bar it was a very cool bar layout and the pizzas were amazing. Finally we understood why we had heard how cool the Mexico City bar scene is.

    From here, the next morning we were off to the airport to head back to the coast 😎.
    Leggi altro