Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22–34

    San Agustinillo, Oaxaca

    January 23 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    What. A. Place! 🤩

    With our cheap accommodation locked in for the next 2 weeks we could finally relax. It’s surprising how much energy goes into worrying about your next plans when you know you need to still find accommodation for the upcoming days. And conversely, how much you can relax when you have a stable home locked in. We set about establishing our routine for the next week and sticking to it.

    6:15 am - Wake up
    6:30 am - Wim Hof breathing exercises on the beach
    7 am - Sunrise
    7-8:30ish - Surf / Exercise
    8:30 am - home made fresh brekkie
    9:00-10:30ish - Spanish Lessons
    10:30 am till lunch - work on the website
    After lunch - whatever we feel like 😎

    San Agustinillo is such a perfect place for what we want. Everything is an easy walk away, the local fruits and vege truck comes to us, a couple of awesome cafes that have incredible fresh ingredient menus, the beach lined with bars with the perfect seats for setting up the laptop… and of course the Beach!

    With 4 beaches all linked by small rock outcrops and sand spits, it’s possible to follow the sand along all of them. And each of them has its own distinct character. Two are quite long and exposed, great for longer soft sand runs. One is protected yet still with a great point break providing a good beginner surf wave. And the last, a completely protected cove for snorkelling with turtles!

    The temperature is a perfect range of between 23-30C every day and as yet we haven’t had more than a gentle breeze. With our early morning breathing routine on the beach, we’re on the beach each morning for sunrise over the water. From there we get our exercise in before the sun gets too hot. The perfect energising way to start the day.

    In Indo back in August, Jessie had finally decided to give surfing a go. (Something to do with the water temperature being warm enough that she could enjoy it without being distracted by how cold it was 😅). Keen to get us both back in the surf we hired a board for a week and split the cost with Jehan, one of our Posada Kaly Neighbours. Having it for the whole week meant we could pick and choose when to take it out, and we weren’t bound by any time limits. Each day we would take it down and spend the first half of the session pushing Jessie onto the easy ones waist-deep before I took it out for my “shoulder-mobility” training. (pretty much I have to call it that until I get the endurance back in my shoulders to realistically call it surfing 🤷‍♂️). Within the first day, Jessie was up and riding the shories right into the sand 👌.

    For the first week at least, that was about all we did. Morning routine, swims whenever we wanted, vege shops for our family cook-ups and explored the one strip of Mazunte. Oh, and how can I forget the sunsets! Simply put, they are incredible! What is unique about San Agustinillo is that it is facing south so being slightly above the equator means that this particular spot gets both sunrise and sunset over the water 🤩. Anyway, the photos do a much better job of showing that…

    We had a couple of surprise encounters with Turtles on the beach but other than that, we just chilled out. This was the perfect place for everything we had wanted. Now I guess the decision is, when do we move on and in what direction 🤷‍♂️.
    Read more