Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Exploring Grand Canyon Village

    February 20, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 1 °C

    Today is President’s Day in the US and we thought that everyone would be up really early to get the last little bit of exploring in before they had to head home and therefore not get a sleep in. We were wrong and we got the most wonderful sleep in, it was amazing!

    Today we planned to catch the free shuttle bus to the General Store to top up our groceries and that is what we did. The shuttle stops at many different places around the village so we got to see the lay of the land so to speak.

    The grocery store was quite large, a lot bigger than we thought. It also has a souvenir shop so we got a few souvenirs as well. The prices of the groceries were very hard to follow. Some things we thought would be super expensive were super cheap and vice versa. Anyhow, we are stocked up again to continue our adventure tomorrow onwards to Monument Valley.

    We got back to the cabin and had some lunch before going for a walk around the rim, taking time to just sit and take in the view and people watch. Each time you look at the view, you see something different and you really appreciate how old earth really is. What the photos don’t show is the sheer depth of the Canyon, it just goes down forever! Plus at times, you go extremely close to the edge which is heart stopping at times.

    We also ventured into the trees where there was some beautiful untouched white snow. Yep you guessed it the snow was extremely deep again and we nearly vanished. Another snow fight before making our way out the deep snow. Definitely a workout and so much fun.

    While we were sitting, we overhead people say that the Grand Canyon train was going to leave at 3.30 so we made our way down to the train track to watch it, Dave was in heaven and I am nearly deaf from how loud the horn was.

    We did a little more walking before heading back to the cabin. I read more of my book and Dave had a snooze.

    As it was such a clear day today, we ventured out after dark to try and capture some night sky photos. I got a couple of good ones.

    Grand Canyon is truly a magical place and one that has our hearts. If you ever get a chance to visit here, don’t pass up the opportunity, you won’t be disappointed.
    Read more