Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Onwards to Moab

    February 25, 2023 in the United States

    It was a very sad farewell to one of the most magical places we have had the privilege of visiting. We both could have stayed another 4 nights easy!

    We potted around and got everything packed, one last photo of this beautiful place before hitting the road - destination Moab.

    First port of call was Forrest Gump Hill. As it was so cold and windy the other day we thought we would try again and as it was on our way, we thought why not.

    A few quick snaps and a chat with an American couple who were there for the same reason we were on our way again. One thing that we have noticed travelling as a couple this trip is everyone is happy to offer to take your photo for you and we are the same to others.

    Next stop was Goosenecks State Park just outside of a little township called Mexican Hat.

    On the edge of a deep canyon above the San Juan River meander known as a gooseneck, this small park offers impressive views of one of the most striking examples of an entrenched river meander on the North American continent. The San Juan River twists and turns through the meander, flowing a distance of over 10kms while advancing 2.5kms west on its way to Lake Powell. Lake Powell is near Page, Arizona, a beautiful place we visited in 2017. The amazing sight is the result of 300 million years of geological activity, where the San Juan River winds and carves its way through the desert 300 metres below. The view was truly breathtaking.

    It was then on the road to Moab about 200kms away. The drive was easy as there wasn’t much traffic at all plus we are seasoned American drivers now (just not on the craziness of roads here there and everywhere coming out of cities). We went through the townships of Recapture, Bluff, Blanding, White Mesa and Monticello. We went from desert to light snow covered fields, to heavy snow covered fields, to canyons covered in light snow to no snow. Amazing beautiful scenery.

    We were able to check in early to our room, had some lunch then went for a quick drive downtown to restock the groceries. We are currently sitting at the hotel doing our washing (if only that went on holidays too).

    Tomorrow the weather forecast says rain until 10.00am so we will see if that eventuates and will most probably head to the Corona Arch in the afternoon.
    Read more