Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    San Fran turning on the goods

    March 15, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    We woke early to some amazing clear skies, the first we have had since arriving.

    First port of call was riding the cable cars. We had purchased our tickets yesterday however the wind and rain got too heavy so we put it off to today.

    We did the Powell Hyde Cable Car route which took us up and down lots of hills, past Lombard Street, outlooks to the bay and Telegraph Hill, past the Cable Car museum, through Chinatown ending at Market place. The driver was a little overbearing which put a bit of a dampener on the experience for Kenzie and I, however Dave thought he was great.

    From here we set the Apple Maps to the Painted Ladies which was about 2 kms away so off we set on foot. The walk was mostly flat until we came to the last 800m which was basically all up hill but we made it.

    It wasn’t the best time of day to get a good photo as the sun was in the wrong position. I don’t know what I expected, but reality really wasn’t it. I think I expected them to stand out more and be brighter. If you didn’t know where to look for them you would drive/walk straight passed them. Glad we got to see them though.

    It was now time to go the Golden Gate Bridge. Kenz downloaded the Muni app on her phone and purchased us all day tickets for the buses/trams. First it was one bus to Fisherman’s Wharf then another to Golden Gate.

    We felt very privileged to have seen the Golden Gate on such a fine clear day as it is normally covered in fog. We spent quite some time here, photographing, walking the bridge and then down to the pier.

    Back up to the parking lot to get the bus back to Fisherman’s Wharf for a quick bite to eat at our room then back down to the wharf to take in more of the amazing fine day. Of course I had to see the sea lions again and there were many more out basking in the sun.

    From here we walked further up along the water to Pier 14 which is very close to the Bay Bridge which is one amazing sight to see. Dave says he was more amazed with the Bay Bridge than the Golden Gate. We sat out at the end of the jetty for about an hour before it got too cold.

    We made our way back to Pier 39 for an early dinner at The Wipeout to celebrate our last night on this amazing adventure.

    Back to our room to do some washing then pack our bags for our flight home.
    Read more