Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    eve walk going in circles

    July 13, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Went on the road behind the lake again leaving around 630 as it was cooler. this time took what I thought was going to be the trail that looped back to the road where we had been the day before....
    nice 2 track road in. then we got to a small lake that was higher than the path. it had leaked into the path previously as one of the 'tracks' was much deeper with dried mud at the bottom. at the end of this little lake we should have found a path to go east, but it wasn't really evident so instead we took the 2 lane track west, then when it came to fork we went north thinking it may lead to another path heading east......after a nice long climb up the hill, dry gravel (at least today I had my soft knee brace and hiking sticks) we get to the top only to find the path ends. there is a gate leading up to another hill, single track and much steeper. the gate isn't officially a gate, but a fence so i don't know if you were really suppose to go through or not. we opted to turn around and head back to the ponderosa pine and turn west.
    at this point I was thinking this path would lead back to the path we had taken to sugar loaf mountain last year.....it was not to be. the path we were on actually looped back around and connected to the first path we had gone on heading to the small lake. next time we will head east at the end of this path through the vague single track. i suspect the water level height may have obliterated part of the path, but i was also looking for a 2 track path, not a single track so next time.......we did do this path in september 2016. might need to invest in that GPS.....but as colin said it probably wouldn't be on there anyways as my backroad maps don't seem to have it listed and google maps certainly didn't. the one in the local guide book did show the trail, but it was rather small.

    on the path that looped on itself we startled a pair of grouse that flew off. luckily wesley kept on the path and didn't try to run off after them. he was on the long lead and was pretty good not going to far ahead of us....good for a beagle.

    It was quite windy over some of the ridges as we were walking, and then others were nice and sheltered. we passed by a lovely riparian? area. nice lush green grasses with aspen, we didn't go off the path to investigate as i thought it was in the shadows, cool and so probably mosquito heaven.
    Read more