Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Millersylvania

    September 13, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    This state park was made by the CCC, Civilian Conservation Corps, by hand, in 1935. You can see all the old stone work and large timbers so typical of many Pacific North West USA state parks. It was a make work project during the depression by President Franklin Roosevelt, part o this new deal to put unmarried young men to work.

    The park is in Old Growth Cedar and Doug Fir, on the shores of Deep Lake. Good fishing.

    The park was originally called Millers Glade by the millers family who once owned the property, they changed the name to Millersylvania meaning 'wooded glade.' 842 acres was homesteaded by Squire Lathum in 1855 before being sold to John Miller. The Millers gave the property to the state in 1921 with the stipulation it be a park forever.

    There is an old narrow gauge railroad, several Skid roads used in the late 1800's by the logging industry. Many stumps with the old Springboard Notch scars. (source for above was the pamphlet and map for the park)

    There is an old 1920's cottage on the site that you can rent too. It has been refurbished.
    Read more