Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    wander through town Benalun Casas-Viejas

    May 22, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    The museum closed at 1400 so we went for a walk through the town after. it is very hillly and has some great views. very quiet as it is Sunday. there is some very sad political history on this town from jan 1933 when some of the local workers , poor temporary workers, shot into the barracks killing 2 officials. in reprisal there were 22 peasants massacred. this was one of the first uprisings recorded by journalists and there is a walking tour pamphlet that follows the areas in the town where some of the incidents took place and photos take 2 days after.. the church -Parroquia Nuestra Señora del Socorro -appeared to be abandoned but may have just been closed since it was not yet time or church. the fountain was lovely. Fuente La Calcetilla. this was one of the local fountains where the town people would get their water. We had good tapas at Restaurante Casa Pepe on the town square - la plaza de bates. Empanadillas-stuffed with brie, patatas bravas- roasted potatoes with a spicy paprika sauce and ensaladilla-potato salad with tuna.....I thought it would be a green salad bit no. it was all very tasty.
    This town I think is like the poor side of the city where the workers and peasants lived working for the rich landowners, some of who resided in nearby Medina-Sidonia.
    Read more