Satellite
  • Day 16

    Vila do Conde

    June 7, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    So I was gratified to learn that the storm I walked though yesterday was a real Thing; it had a name, "Miguel". The only other walker I met at the end of the day in Angieras was a Czech woman with her 3 1\2 year old son. She walked through that storm carrying her son on her back and her backpack in front. She said her husband was away on a business trip and she didn't feel like just hanging around the house. So they are headed to Santiago on foot (or being carried sometimes). Next time you get proud of yourself for some feat, think of that. I got a picture of them today.

    I watched the England vs Netherlands futbol game in a cafe last night with three Brits, which was fun and educational. They were probably in their 40s, came down to Portugal in their motor home to see the game, which was going on in a stadium outside Porto, but they couldn't get tickets. They expressed horror at the behavior of their young countrymen, drunk, loud and fighting with the police in Porto.

    Today was fantastic walking, with fresh air and clear skies. Many miles on the wood boardwalk with expansive views of the Atlantic. I saw practically nobody. Had a wonderful grilled fish for lunch at a small, family-run cafe on the beach. We couldn't communicate well and I didn't understand the menu, so she brought and showed me the fresh raw fish ahead of time.

    In Conde do Vila now, where – according to the city map - there is an Albuquerque street, spelled like we do, without the extra R. I walked all over, looking for a street tile with the name, but apparently some Burqueño was here before me and stole it.
    Read more