Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Day 6 - Las Palmas, Gran Canaria

    November 4, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Arrived at around 7.00am. Weather overcast but warm. Looking forward to leaving the ship after 2 days at sea. Getting a little stir crazy.
    Breakfast at 8.00am then taking excursion entitled Essence of Gran Canaria. Not for the immobile, yeah, no walking sticks or frames!
    Coach left at 9.00am and we travelled up up up into the Bandama Crater to the top of the island. Some hair raising driving right on the edge of the road before arriving at the top about1500 feet looking right down on the island below. Took some great pics before making our way down to Santa Brigida. Walked around the town - some nice buildings plus the ubiquitous Church and to the House of Wine Museum. This was a really good stop. We sat down and were served with boiled tatties, cheese, crisp bread, olives
    and a lovely sauce called Mojo Palmero based on red peppers. Also they gave 3 samples of the wine they produce, red, rose and white. Very nice.
    Then back down to Las Palmas for the Columbus museum and a walk around. Museum was okay but not really that interesting. Back to ship for lunch - ice cream and an apple!
    Sun bathing and had a swim in the Lido pool. Only one in initially then the a number of others decided it was safe to go in so I got out! Flies, hundreds and thousands of the bloody things. It's like a plague sent by God and they are everywhere. Destined to stay on board for the next few ports, they are a real pain.
    Back to room and off to gym for a short session. I've picked up a cold and not feeling 100%. Only did 10 mins run and 15 mins on bike.
    Got ready for meal tonight in the Grill Restaurant, the ships a la carte restaurant. Fantastic meal. I had scallops, followed by cod, and an amazing 7 different dark chocolate pudding. J had Cauliflower and sesame soup, followed by Courgette stuffed with quinoa and apple crumble. Very well served and great surroundings. Shame about the BLOODY flies!
    Then we looked for our formal night photos. Eventually found them and they were really good. At 16.95 each they should have been! It was buy 3 and get the 4th free so ended up paying £45 for 4 pics. Good lord above! Also bought another photo taken just before we boarded in Soton.
    Feeling tired we gave the show a miss and sat on the balcony to watch the ship depart Gran Canaria en route for Tenerife.
    Read more