Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    CO: Black Canyon of Gunnison Nat'l Park

    June 18, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 70 °F

    Today we headed out to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. It's only about an hour from our campground, so the boys were surprised when it was such a short trip.

    The canyon is stunning and the dropoffs made my stomach flip more than a few times. Everett was able to use his Every Kid in a Park Pass which allows any kid in 4th grade to enter a National Park for free. E felt pretty primo handing his pass to the ranger and saving us the $30 entry fee.

    We had a great chat with Ranger Randy who'd worked for the NPS for 25 years. He gave us tips for our day at Black Canyon & a few ideas for Mesa Verde & Arches. I asked him about a road I saw on the map that takes you to the bottom of the canyon. He explained a few things then mentioned that it's a 16% grade in parts and I literally laughed out loud at the absurdity of anyone making that drive.

    We hiked the Oak Leaf Loop. A steep descent but less-so on the return. Holden commented on how surprised he was at how green and full everything was. The south edge of the canyon was like a different ecosystem than the top of the canyon. So lush and shady, it was such a surprise.

    The views down to the bottom of the canyon are so impressive, especially as we made our way along the main road and pulled off to catch the view from a variety of overlooks. Nate was most impressed by the 3rd tallest sheer cliff in the lower 48 states, at 2,250ft, and he and E talked about climbing it one day.

    Really glad to have made this stop at Black Canyon. We had a great experience with our afternoon visit. Looking forward to the other big sites we'll be visiting in the coming weeks.
    Read more