Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Colorado: Last Few Days

    June 23, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    Our last few days in SW Colorado came quicker than we wanted and even though we had 12 nights here, there is still so much we didn't get to explore. Guess we'll just have to plan another trip in a few years!

    Monday the boys and I hung pretty close to the campground. I did some painting and the boys did a lot of playing. After Nate finished working, we headed down to Ouray for him and the boys to get some climbing in. It was a small, shaded spot that was a good place for E to practice lead climbing. One of Nate's favorite moments of this leg of the trip was watching E lead his first climb, something that E has been eager to do for a while.

    On Tuesday, the boys and I enjoyed the Perimeter Trail in Ouray, a really gorgeous & occasionally challenging hike and a favorite moment of mine. It is really phenomenal to be at an age where they are so much more capable, independent & confident. This hike was their idea and they were enthusiastic and did not complain once -- except maybe when E griped that Holden & I were too slow.

    And on a personal side, this 4.5 miler was one of the first longer hikes I've taken in a loooong time and it was so satisfying to do it with my boys. After months of PT last year and increasing pain, a year later we finally discovered that I have a torn meniscus in my knee. At some point I'll need surgery, but for now they gave me a great big ol' shot of cortisone that has really allowed me to get back into the things I love. I am so grateful for that. We rewarded ourselves with a good long soak in the Hot Springs Pool. It was a very good day.

    Wednesday we continued packing in the adventure when Nate and Everett took on the Ouray Via Ferrata, a pathway made of metal cables and iron rings drilled into the rock wall along the river gorge.The path starts out walking across the river about 20' up on about a 1" wire cable. From there they climbed a pathway of metal rungs along the river gorge and up higher in places. Even though they were clipped-in the entire time, I was pretty nervous for E when he got started. But it didn't take long to see that both my guys were comfortable on the wall and got the hang of the clips quickly. Unfortunately rain rolled in as they got to the halfway point and they decided to bail out at the midway point. They had to climb to the top of the gorge and hike back in the rain. Even wet & cold they were all smiles.

    E said the scariest part was walking across the river. After that it was just fun and definitely one of his favorite events of the trip. We finished the evening with delicious Thai food in Ridgway and headed to the campsite afterwards.

    Thursday was less eventful as we prepped to pack up the camper on Friday and dodged scattered rainstorms throughout the day. A highlight of the day was getting to have lunch with my Aunt Robin & Uncle Tim when they made a surprise visit to see TJ the last half of the week.

    Less enjoyable was the chore of having to groom and shave Coltrane at the campsite that day. He'd gotten pretty filthy camping for 12 straight days and we couldn't in good conscience leave him in such dingy condition with TJ in Ridgway while we head to Moab.

    We wound up our last full day at the campsite by reheating Thai leftovers and going on a short family bike ride, which Holden had requested many times. He says that was his favorite part of the trip, but I'll also add that the slides at the Hot Springs were also a favorite of his.

    Sad to be leaving this area and the incredible weather and scenery. Looking forward to the next time we make it out this way!

    Next Stop: Mesa Verde National Park
    Read more