Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Hidalgo: Day 1

    December 26, 2022 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    Day 2 of our trip brought us much improved circumstances! Our Wonderful host, Alberto picked us up at the hotel in Monterrey and drove us to the house in Hidalgo where we'll spend the week. The boys got another taste of non-American driving as the 4 of us crowded into the backseat and my Dad rode shotgun. Alberto speedily weaved down the road in a way that would get us pulled over for a DUI in the US, but here it's,s just the way of the road.

    As we got further away from the smog of the city, the mountains became more clear and impressive. We pulled into town and our host swung by the police station to let us get some pesos from the ATM. We cracked up that the first stop was the police station, but agreed that it's a good place to keep the money machine.

    Hidalgo has plenty of modern services but is definitely a more rural and poorer town. Dogs roam about and are camped out at the gates of homes. Some are probably more effective security systems than others.

    After dropping our bags at our cheerfully yellow Airbnb, Alberto drove Nate and I to the grocery store and walked through the market with us to make sure we didn't make too many cultural faux pas.

    After settling into our charming house and resting a bit, we walked the mile to El Potrero Chico.(EPC) Alberto told us that the name means Little Valley. As climbing goes, the volume of routes and ease of access is incredible. Looking up at the mountains the climbers looked like colorful ants.

    On the walk back, we greeted our friends who had just arrived and Nate happily headed back up to EPC with the guys to scout routes. The boys played and I caught up with the everyone.

    We ended the night with THE BEST chicken I've ever tasted at a little restaurant down the road called Leo's. The food was incredible and we all had a great time catching up. The boys also discovered SQUIRT soda and are now big fans of new things in Mexico.

    We headed to bed early happy with our first day and ready for what the week brings.
    Read more