Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Auckland exploration

    December 23, 2022 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    We both managed to sleep a little later this morning, but we still got a pretty early start. We got breakfast before exploring some of the city's parks and other walking highlights while we waited for museums to open.

    We then made our way to the maritime museum, which houses a really neat selection of exhibits, ranging from the first wooden canoes used by the Maori when they first settled in New Zealand, to the highly engineered, sleek, but massive carbon fiber boats used to win the America's Cup. We then took a ride in one of their sailboats to see Auckland from the water. The boat was crewed by a bunch of old, retired Kiwis, who clearly just like being on the boat and sharing their passion with others.

    For lunch, we walked over to the Wynyard Quarter to get some delicious fish and chips from the Auckland Fish Market. Then it was time to pick up our campervan - our home away from home as we leave the city behind. Keanan hopped behind the wheel for his first time driving on the other side of the road/car, and we had a very tense drive back to our hotel in Auckland, where we opted to let the hotel valet park it. We're both excited to get it out of Auckland tomorrow, and onto less populated roads, just as when we first picked up our car in Edinburgh 5.5 years ago.

    We then spent our evening enjoying our hotel's rooftop pool before going out for dinner and gelato, and crashing earlier than we have been so we're well rested for our first day of driving!
    Read more