Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Milford Sound Scenic Flight

    January 12, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    This tour was postponed from yesterday because not enough people were signed up and it definitely worked out for the best in terms of weather! Today we woke up to mostly clear skies and much less wind than yesterday! Here's the description of where we flew:

    Departing from Queenstown airport at 8.00am, the flight path tracks north up the world famous Shotover Canyon, passing Lake Lochnagar to Mt Aspiring (tallest peak outside of the Mt Cook region at 10,000ft/3030m). New Zealand has 7 glaciers that span greater than 10 hectares, and the only one in the Southern Lakes happens to reside on the northern side of Mt Aspiring, called the Volta Glacier. This is assured to be a highlight before turning west for Milford Sound. On this next sector passengers will be mesmerised flying down ‘glacier alley’ with the Olivine Ice Plateau, a unique glacial amphitheatre. Further west toward Milford Sound we link up with our existing Milford flight path, over Mt Tutoko and the Donne & Age Glaciers, before capturing the Fiord of Milford, followed by a return flight back to Queenstown viewing the Arthur Valley & Lake Te Anau.

    We actually completed this loop in reverse to give the clouds some more time to burn off the mountains further north. Seeing all this from the air was definitely a unique perspective!
    Read more