Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Bella Coola Day 2

    September 3, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Having trouble with photo uploads so we will post lots of photos when we arrive back in civilisation. So woke up to sadly another rainy day, but that was not going to stop us going out to see if we can see more bears. The morning started with a real Canadian breakfast of pancakes and eggs - not sure we can do that every day , but the food here is amazing. Did I mention they even made Tig a lovely birthday cake last night. I thought he was going to kill me when everyone started to sing happy birthday. Obviously I am still alive to tell the tail as I am writing this. The staff were pleased as the first cake they made had coconut oil in it, and then they remembered the allergy, made cake 2. Staff very happy!!.

    So this morning we set off for another raft trip and were soon greeted by a female grizzly bear walking along the bank. Crossing the river and walking on here hind legs. Amazing. Having left here we drifted a bit further and then spent a long time following another bear across and down the river until we got to the log jam. Hearts racing we stayed watching the bear, as she got ever closer to us , and at one point was no more than a metre away. Very lucky. The good thing was that she was totally not bothered by us, was just looking for fish and berries. So after a whilst watching we went off on our way and saw another couple of bears, including a mum and her beautiful cup. So funny watching him/her following mum and trying to do everything she did. Not so good at catching fish, but I am sure she will be soon.

    After lunch, yes more food, we went off with a different Guide to the Big Cedar Trail, where we saw and learnt about the living cultural forest. Lots of explanations about how the first nation used the word, and how the cedars survive despite having been used to make, cloths, build canoes, and also used as smoke houses. Before heading back to the lodge for more food, and getting beaten at table tennis we went to see where the salmon start their journey at the estuary as well as some amazing water falls.

    The weather here hasn't been great, but the bears don't seem to mind, and we are managing to dry out in between each part of the day. Sadly it is raining now so not sure we will get photos of sunny bears. but do have photos of bears, so very lucky to see these amazing animals as well as listening to two more bald eagles chatting in the tree tops.
    Read more