Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Ushuaia, Argentina

    February 15, 2023 in Argentina

    Today is our first port in Argentina.
    Ushuaia is the capital of Tierra del Fuego province. It is located below 54th parallel. It is the world southmost city.
    We docked at 11:00am right in the center of the city. There were few more cruise ships in the port, one docked and few required tender boat ride. There were few expedition ships docked. Very busy port.

    This is our third time in this port, so in 2018 and 2020 we had a whole day tours of surrounding areas. For today I booked a public boat ride to Beagle channel. The tour is at 3:00pm, so I had time to walk in the town.

    It is very difficult town for Boris to navigate, in addition the weather was really not friendly. Pouring rain with mixture of snow and very windy. I decided to go on my own. Well, I did not last long and by 12:30 was back on the ship.

    For the tour, we dresses in every warm clothes we had. We left our ship around 2:30, found our tour boat and we’re inside the catamaran close to 3:00pm.
    We were going through Beagle Channel, stopping near one island with lots of birds, then docking at the other island for a short hike. The view from the top of that island was stunning, unfortunately I forgot to take my phone with me, so no pictures.
    We stop near another island with more birds and sea lions 🦭 and island with southmost lighthouse in the world.
    Beagle channel is connecting Pacific and Atlantic Ocean. On one side is Chile and on the other side is Argentina.
    Inside catamaran was not too cold, but to see anything we had to be outside. And even with all warm clothing, hats and gloves it was freezing. But we enjoyed it very much.
    We got back by 6:30pm, walked back to our ship, had a quick dinner. Boris went straight to bed and I went to play brain teaser.
    Next few days are at sea going through Drake passage.
    Read more