Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 132

    Chan May/Hoi An, Vietnam

    May 25, 2023 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 86 °F

    Few days before arrival in Chan May we had no idea what to do for the first day of our overnight stay in this port. The arrival time was 3:30pm. A little late for the tour. Especially, there is nothing in the port.
    Likely Younga has been here before and suggested to go to Hoi An. The UNESCO heritage city. The drive should take roughly 1.5 hours one way, but we don’t have to rush to come back. It’s an overnight port. Erin found a transportation and we decided to go.

    Below is the description of the city from internet:
    Hoi An is a city on Vietnam’s central coast known for its well-preserved Ancient Town, cut through with canals. The former port city’s melting-pot history is reflected in its architecture, a mix of eras and styles from wooden Chinese shophouses and temples to colorful French colonial buildings, ornate Vietnamese tube houses and the iconic Japanese Covered Bridge with its pagoda.

    We took a little detour to reach Hoi An. The is a famous Dragon Bridge everybody wanted to see. Unfortunately, our driver did not speak English, so he took us over the Dragon Bridge, but crossing the bridge we saw only pieces of dragon. The picture of the bridge is from internet.
    We arrived to the city by 6:00pm. It was already getting dark. We told our driver to meet us at 10:00pm.
    The city was colourful, decorated with many lanterns, lotuses on the canal, canoes with people enjoying evening, music and lots of vendors selling all different stuff. It was very festive. Apparently, they celebrated Buddha Birthday.
    We stopped for a quick meal and continued walking. Lots of people and lots of fun. By 9:30 pm we were ready to go back on the ship.
    We came back by 11:00pm. Tomorrow we will have another hot busy day that will start very early.
    Read more