Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 158

    Tokyo, Japan. Day 1

    June 20, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 79 °F

    We arrived at 8:00am, but decided to wait at least 9:30am to start our day to avoid morning rush hours.
    We took a personal shuttle (that was a surprise) from cruise ship terminal to the subway station.
    Our original plan was to go to the park and then to Tokyo Tower, but we met friends and they talked us to go to Tower before park.
    We took monorail, then transferred to a subway and then arrived to the Tokyo Tower by 11:00am.

    The Tokyo Tower is a communications and observation tower, built in 1958. At 332.9 meters (1,092 ft), it is the second-tallest structure in Japan. The structure is an Eiffel Tower-inspired.

    The two-story Main Deck is at 150 meters (490 ft), while the smaller Top Deck reaches a height of 249.6 meters (819 ft).
    We purchased tickets to go to the Top Deck.
    After visiting it, we walked to have nice lunch. After lunch we walked to the park. It was a long 36 min walk. The park is beautiful, but the pavement is loose stones and it was hard for Boris and me to push a wheelchair.
    Back on the street, we walked to the subway and came back on ship.
    After two hours of rest and light dinner, back to the city.
    We wanted to be in the city at night. It took us 40 min to get to Shibuya crossing.
    It is the busiest intersection in the world.

    At the peak times upwards of 3000 people – cross at a time, coming from all directions at once.
    So much fun watching people. We walked around for another hour to experience night Tokyo, then back on subway.
    From subway, another 20 min walk to the ship. At 11:30 pm the shuttle was not available.
    That day I walked over 26,000 steps.
    Read more