Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii. Day 1.

    January 9 in the United States ⋅ 🌬 75 °F

    We arrived at 7:00AM to Honolulu. The plan for today is go around the island. I booked the car from website Turo. It allows to rent a car from a private person. The location of the car is one mile from the port, so we walked to the car. It was easy to find our white Toyota.
    We too H1, H2 highway in the middle of the island to Dole Pineapple Plantation. When we got there we realised it is a tourist trap.
    We walked through gardens and continue driving north. We stopped in few places to see waves and turtles and then for a quick bite at shrimp truck.
    Continue driving we stop at Waimea Valley to see waterfalls. It’s about one mile hike up to waterfalls through very lush park.
    Boris took a shuttle and I walked.
    It is absolutely breathtaking view of the valley. I stopped every few steps to take pictures of the flora.
    We met at the falls and hiked back to the car.
    More driving on the west side of the island and stopping to take pictures we arrived at the Buddhist Byodo-In Temple.

    The Byodo-In Temple, located at the foot of the Ko’olau Mountains in Valley of the Temples Memorial Park. Built in 1963, the Byodo-In Temple is a Hawaii state landmark and one of the states’s best kept secrets.

    O’ahu’s Byodo-In Temple represents a smaller scale replica of the almost 1,000-year old Byodo-In Temple in Uji, Japan, which is a United Nations World Heritage Site.

    We arrived back to Honolulu shortly after 5:00pm, parked the car and walked back to the ship.
    After dinner at Lido restaurant, we were treated to a wonderful Polynesian show by local group.
    Tomorrow is another day in Honolulu.
    Read more