Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    PortChalmers/Dunadin, NZ

    March 7 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 55 °F

    After three days of rough sea we arrived to Port Charmers, which is gateway to Dunadin. We visited it in 2017 and had a tour. For today we booked a tour which we knew will repeat few things we did in 2017, but will also cover new stuff.

    It's known for its Scottish and Maori heritage, Victorian and Edwardian architecture, and a large student population.

    We visited the steepest street in the world. The angle is 38.4 degrees. Then we drove to the overlook of the city and monument to the pioneer who came to the area first.
    We stopped at the university of Ortego where 30,000 students trying to learn something.
    Then we stopped at the botanical garden to see different birds. Some of them talked.
    We toured Dunadin railroad station. It was build in 1906 and its magnificent Renaissance stile has Oamaru limestone facing on black basalt rock.
    Inside floor has 750,000 porcelain tiles.
    After beautiful ride our last stop was Royal Albatross Centre where we had lunch and then a presentation and a walk to see albatross and chicks few weeks old.

    Then I took another beautiful walk to see sea lions on the beach.

    It took one hour to get back to the ship.
    Read more