Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 69

    Napier, NZ

    March 11 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 70 °F

    Napier, a coastal city on New Zealand's North Island, is set amid the renowned wine-producing region of Hawke's Bay. Rebuilt after a 1931 earthquake, the city is known for art deco landmarks like the zigzag-patterned Daily Telegraph Building. Along the tree-lined waterfront promenade the Marine Parade, the Pania of the Reef statue depicting a Maori maiden, is a symbol of the city.

    Today we joined the tour to see colony of gannets.
    The drive to see these birds was magnificent, the views of the cliffs, the wineries. We drove through the private grounds where only this tour company allowed to visit gannet colony.
    We could come within few feet to the colony could see adults and young nesting in serried rows carrying out their daily routine. In the air above our heads, these amazing birds with their 6-foot wingspan (2 m) swooped and dove as they carried back fish. On the ground, just a few feet away, the pairs preen and perform the dance of the gannets’ recognition ritual.

    These birds mate for life and produce only one offspring per year. Both parents take care of their offspring. When the baby is bigger than parents, it flies to Australia. Only 20-30 percent of them survive this journey. Three year later they come back and start their own family.

    After we came back, we walked around the town and its beautiful waterfront.
    Read more