Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 68

    Wellington, NZ

    March 10 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌬 66 °F

    This is our second time in the capital of NZ, Wellington. It is not the biggest city in NZ. Auckland and Christchurch have greater population.
    The weather promised to be perfect for walking, so we decided not to go to the famous Te Papa museum since we have been there before, but just be outside and experience the city.
    The shuttle dropped us across Parliament building. It was too early to go on the tour of Parliament, instead we walked to the waterfront which lead up to Te Papa museum. Across the street from the museum is interesting modern new convention center. We walked inside to use toilet.
    Then on the walk to Cuba street. The street is full of cafes, restaurants, book stores and music venues, but it was Sunday morning and most places were closed. I guess this street is alive in the evening.
    We then took a bus and arrived at the so called “cable car”. Five minutes later we at the top.
    The Wellington Cable Car is a funicular railway between Lambton Quay, the main shopping street, and Kelburn, a suburb in the hills overlooking the central city, rising 120 m over a length of 609 m.
    By that time we felt a little hungry and decided to split pizza.
    We then walked down (cannot suggest this to anyone with a wheelchair) to the Rose Garden and thru cemetery to the Parliament.
    Unfortunately, all tour have been sold out, but we manage to get inside and took few pictures.
    In front of the building soldiers were practising for tomorrow’s greetings of Chinese delegation.
    Back on the shuttle we had just enough time to take shower and dress for dinner.
    Read more