Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 84

    Huahine, French Polynesia.

    March 26, South Pacific Ocean ⋅ ⛅ 84 °F

    Huahine is known as one of the most authentic islands in French Polynesia, where the ancestral culture is still very much alive in local traditions and customs.
    The population of the island is 6000.
    We took a tender boat to the island without any plans. All I knew there is a wonderful beach and a resort, but it’s required taxi or a car rental.
    We start talking to another couple, they were going to rent a car and I offer them to split the cost. The rental for a day is pretty expensive. Also, all cars are manual transmission. I do not drive manual.
    The island consist of two separate islands, connected by the bridge. First, we drove around bigger north island, stopping at view points, private shell museum, vanilla plantation and then we arrived at remains of the resort with good looking beach.
    I decided to “test the water”. The current was extremely strong. After 30 minutes, we continue driving stopping at the place where we could see blue eyed eels.

    They live near the village of Faie and are considered sacred and have been habituated to humans for hundreds of years. These are massive 1.5-2m long fish that live in small caves and holes under the bridge and come out to feed in the fresh waters of the river. Locals and tourists feed them with mackerel. The most amazing is that the eels have absolutely blue eyes, almost porcelain blue that nearly glow in the water. They live up to 80 years.
    Finally we end up in Avea Beach with very nice resort. It was close to 1:00PM and we were hangry. The lunch at the resort restaurant was very good.
    After lunch we still had few hours to enjoy beautiful beach and fantastic snorkelling.

    Back to the tender pier by 4:00PM. Very nice day.
    Read more