Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 138

    Wairere Falls

    November 14, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Through Tinder, the guys met a Canadian girl who was interested in doing a hike. What a great way to also meet someone with similar interests..

    We decided to go to Wairere Falls, North Island's highest waterfall at 153m! The hike went over big boulders and through the forest. We followed and crossed the creek many times before we reached the lookout from the bottom of the falls.

    But we were going to the top, of course. A well-built, but steep staircase took us a significant way up. Then more trails through the forest brought us to the upper lookout platform. The water spilt over the edge of a sheer cliff and fell a longgg way down. The view of the valley down below was awesome. And we had come up just in time. On the far side of the valley, dark clouds were rolling down the mountains.

    But up here, it was still sunny. And we didn't bring up our bathing suits and water shoes for nothing ;) The flow of water over the rocks was very shallow, so it was easy to skip over the rocks to the edge of the waterfall itself. The water fell just a few meters into a small rock pool a few meters wide, before tumbling down the big falls itself. After a long hike up it was great to get refreshed in the chilly mountain water, in a natural infinity pool. Sweet!

    Adam had brought up his drone to take a video of the falls. Seeing ourselves up there from a birds-eye view was pretty spectacular. Check it out here:
    https://www.facebook.com/adam.kruer/posts/10156…
    Read more